We can probably sell it quicker and get a better price. We can save you time by taking care of the paperwork. Steer you through the legal jungle, and save you irritation by dealing with window shoppers. Give you advice on how to prepare your boat.
We have an extensive database of prospective purchasers, and we spend thousands of pounds each year on advertising. We have the facility to advertise the vessel on our web site reaching a massive audience of potential purchasers. Our knowledge of the market enables us to advise and guide you to achieve the optimum price for your vessel. We work to the British Boating Industry Code of Practice for the sale of used boats. We have expert staff to give help and advice.
Porth Daniel can deal with all sales particulars. All aspects of advertising, contract, and exchange. Porth Daniel can help with finance and insurance for the new potential owner.
A minimum charge of £400 incl. V.A.T. or, if greater 8% plus V.A.T. of the selling price of the boat. The international rate is 10% where the owner, the yacht or the buyer is not in Great Britain. We charge VAT on commissions at 17.5% These rates may seem high in comparison with, for instance, estate agents, but as brokers we also have to have a full understanding of the law concerning the sale of boats thereby taking on the job which, in the case of a house sale, would be handled by two sets of solicitors.
We are able to offer on site display space for boats placed on sale, this will be charged at our standard rate. This increases the chance for sale as customers visiting our showroom are able to view the boat more readily.
WHAT DO WE NEED FROM YOU?
Arrange to complete a Brokerage particulars sheet. We will take a range of digital photo shots for publication in the particulars and advertising. In addition to our details sheet, include a copy of a recent survey if you have one.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
1. Ensure the boat is clean and tidy.
2. Remove all gear that is not included in the sale (if possible).
3. If the boat is laid up, have all gear that is included either on the boat or in store nearby easily available for inspection.
4. Make sure that everything is in working order as far as possible and that any minor repairs have been carried out. If there are any defects with the boat, or its equipment please inform us as soon as possible.
5. Make it easy for buyers to inspect the boat by having it in a marina or mud berth - we can advise the best place nearest to you if necessary.
WHAT WE WILL DO:
Inspect the boat and advise on the market price. Prepare a broker's superficial condition report (NB. This is not the same as a survey. Prepare the detail sheet and sales particulars, with digital images. Help draw an accommodation plan. We have them for most standard designs. Show customers over the boat (if required) with or without the owner's presence. Advertise your boat both in traditional media, and also on the internet. There is a £60.00(incl. VAT) administration fee for this process.
Naturally we prefer to be the sole agency selling your boat as there is then no confusion as to who found the buyer. So, if you are seriously trying to sell the boat yourself, we believe it is better for you to have a go then, if you have no luck, let us have a clear run.
If you do find a buyer however, we are quite prepared to do the searches and organise Contracts, Bills of Sale, VAT invoices etc., for a fee which would be less than half the normal commission, depending on the amount of work entailed.
THE STAGES IN BUYING OR SELLING A BOAT
- Seller instructs broker and gives him all details, photographs, and any drawings of the boat.
- We inspect the boat, write a report and advise the seller of the price.
- We print detail sheets and send you a copy to check, sign and return to us with any amendments. We also send you a Listing Agreement to sign stating that you wish us to sell the boat on your behalf.
- We print detail sheets and send them out to the customers on our database.
- Buyer asks to see the boat and we arrange to show him over, alternatively arrange for the owner to do this.
- Buyer makes an offer to the broker, either-
a. As is where is
b. Subject to survey
c. Subject to sea trial
d. Subject to b. and c.
- Seller accepts (or refuses, in which case further negotiations may follow).
- We will prepare Sales Contract for both parties to sign.
- Buyer lodges 10% holding deposit with our Bank into our clients escrow account
- The buyer arranges survey with surveyor, broker and/or seller if applicable.
- If survey is acceptable, buyer pays remaining 90%. If not, the price is normally re-negotiated or occasionally the sale falls through.
- We then prepare a Bill of Sale and documents concerned with change of ownership.
- Next we arrange the handover of the boat
- Porth Daniel pays the seller 28 days after the boat has been paid for and collected by the buyer.